Friday, April 1, 2011

iCrap


It was one of those days today. I spent the morning busily processing photos, writing up a new pattern and blogging. Very productive. 

Yeah, right. You see, my computer the iCrash 1200 had other ideas. I don't think it's too much to ask of a computer that it can run for 30 minutes without overheating and closing down. This behaviour started around six months after I bought the iCrash. Ever-helpful-Dell (their actual trading name) told me that it was a known "feature" (their words) of the model I had (funny didn't see that anywhere in the product information). They advised me that I would need to buy a stand to lift the thing off the tabletop - thus ventilating the fan. Grrrr. 
The only "Apple" thing about this computer was the sticker...

Now, normally I would have stood my ground with Dell and got them to take the thing back. But I had a major paying project on at the time and was in desperate need of my computer. So I shelled out the $25 for a piece of recycled plant pot to act as a throne for the iCrash. And it did work for a while. But with the start of the "hot" weather, the laptop started daily crashes, twice daily crashes and encore performances.Today's repeated recalcitrance and phone syncing hystrionics were the last straw. Goodbye to much of the work I did this morning and goodbye to the iCrash - the thing crashed when I was backing up!!!!!!! It's over - finito - you're history!!!!!! 

No comments: