Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain...

Preparations for teaching Colourwork at Morris' at the end of the month have really got me in the mood for knitting with loads of colour. But with a lot of technical editing going on at the moment in my day job, I need no brainer knitting for down time - something (probably a shawl) I can work on in front of the telly at the end of the day, without having to think about it. And I'd like to knit with something in a cosy DK or worsted weight that I can snuggle under on cold winter evenings. If you've visited the Wool Cave (my office) you'll know that I have a fairly sizable stash (ahem, cough, cough). But there isn't a large palette of DK weight luxury yarn (aside from some Colourmart Piuma braided cashmeres and they are set aside for something else.) But I discovered Morris' Maya Baby Alpaca DK when I was in the Melbourne store the other day. They make around 30 colours, and although my choices were a little limited due to the winter sale, I managed to find 17 different colourways:
I don't think all of the colours will make the final cut, but most of them look pretty good according to the B&W photo I took to check the relative values. I've tried squinting at the colours as some knitters do, but it makes my eyes water so isn't really helpful!
At the moment, these beauties are sitting in a basket in the hall. I'm having a hard time not casting on immediately, but I need to leave it a couple of days to get the arrangement right-I tweak the arrangment whenever I go past. They're roughly in order of the colours of the rainbow, Roy G Biv,  - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. 
 
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain...

No comments: