Friday, February 12, 2010

Bainbridge Island

The floor had stopped moving this morning, so we started the day with breakfast at Bacco cafe - oatmeal, omelette, carrot and apple juice (yes I know, but it was yummy juice!).

I had been searching Ravelry for locals' recommended yarn shops and Churchmouse Yarns on Bainbridge Island came top of the list. And because it needed a 35 minute ferry ride to the island, John was keen to come too. ($6.50 each for a ticket that lasts for two days - that's a whole lot of entertainment.) It was pretty bracing on the "sun deck" but we stayed topside during the trip out - taking touristy photos of Seattle and Mt Ranier (huge, 26 glaciers!).


Off the ferry and  "follow the salmon" - a line of fish stencilled on the ground leading to downtown Bainbridge Island.

Churchmouse Yarns and Teas was absolutely delightful; busy, chatty, freindly staff, beautiful yarns, needles (lots of choice), hard decisions to be made. (No books, too heavy, no new Offhand Design bag - I do have one or two at home.) John went for a walk around the Island and said he would meet me outside the shop in 30 minutes time. 45 minutes later, I postponed luch for another 30 minutes. So what did I buy? A couple of patterns from the Churchmouse range (I chose simple designs for "on the road" knitting), Hand Maiden Cashmere, Camelspin and some beautiful Rosewood circular needles made by Asciano.

Thanks to another recommendation (from the ladies at Churchmouse) we wound up at the Harbour Public House for lunch. Front row seats overlooking the marina. Beers and ciders on tap (Perseus Porter for John and Foxcreek Cider for me). Nice lunch, more freindly staff, but these compulsory "gratuities" take a bit of getting used to - and gobble up the cash :(



But of course, I had forgotten to buy any tea (it is Churchmouse Yarn and Teas)
so I had to drop back there on the way to the ferry.

Great shop. Highly recommended!










No comments: